Monday, May 2, 2022

Black Cat Weekly


If you've not come across Black Cat Weekly from Wildside Press, you are missing a great source of entertainment for literary omnivores. Each issue (as I write this, issue #35 has just come out) contains a number of stories in various genres, both old and new. To be honest, this has been a recent discovery for me, so I find myself in the situation of both keeping up and catching up.


Although I greatly enjoy the novels and stories from such writers as Lester del Rey, Henry Kuttner and Malcom Jameson, I find myself drawn to the interviews conducted by Darrell Schweitzer. There is an art to interviewing, one that not even journalists often appreciate. It's not a matter of asking questions, but of asking the right questions. Back when I was an Army photojournalist (when journalists were actually journalists) I found interviews to be the most difficult, yet most rewarding of assignments. I appreciate the deft touch Schweitzer brings to the task, as well as the profound comments elicited from such subjects as Fred Saberhagen, CJ Cherryh and Thomas M Disch. The interviews are "vintage," so they are a bit like literary archaeology, but that does not take away from my enjoyment of them in any way.


Previously, each issue of the e-mag was $3.99, but the publisher recently reduced the price to $2.99, perhaps to make it more attractive to new readers. At either price, however, it is a heck of a deal. Honestly, I derive more pleasure from it than I do modern monthly print magazines. Give it a try. I think you'll really like it. You can get it directly from the publisher's website (link above) or from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment